- Bring of cold water to a boil. Add 2 x tablespoons of herb per 500ml of water. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Be sure to keep the heat as low as possible while still maintaining a simmer, and keep the cover on so the beneficial essential oils do not evaporate.
- After being simmered, you can let the herbs steep overnight, or strain them right away.
- Decoctions are very potent! The serving size can be much less than an infusion. Consider 1/2 cup of tea with decoctions.
- Best method of extracting the constituents of dense, or woody barks, roots, and seeds